Mander Hadley Logo


Mander Hadley Solicitors in Coventry 024 7663 1212


Mander Hadley Solicitors in Kenilworth 01926 857631

Cover all
  the angles

Related links Down Arrow

Make an enquiry Down Arrow

Read more articles in: Blog, Dispute Resolution, Mander Hadley

How to deal with neighbour disputes

Having a dispute with a neighbour, over concerns such as property boundaries, can quickly escalate.  To help you deal with disputes, we have put together a quick guide:

Stay Calm

When disputes arise with neighbours, tensions can be high and relationships can turn sour.  For these reasons it is important when you speak with your neighbour to approach them in a polite, calm and collected manner.

You may consider making notes before speaking to them to ensure your side of the dispute sustains its validity and soundness.

Collect evidence

Begin collecting and documenting evidence:

  • Keep a log: if the breach is recurrent
  • Photographs: capture the relevant evidence before and after the dispute. If you did not capture evidence from before the dispute started, look through old photographs that depict the disputed area
  • Land registry information: if you don’t have your title deeds or plan available, they are publicly available. A solicitor can also obtain these for you.

Seek legal advice

Before tensions escalate dramatically, it is important to speak to a solicitor who can advise you on your dispute and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your case with you.

A solicitor will discuss progression and the avenues available to you to seek resolution whether by negotiation or alternative dispute resolution such as mediation.   Speaking to a neutral and professional mediator can often help parties move forward and reach agreement even where previous attempts to negotiate a resolution have failed.

Sometimes the resolution may be the issue of proceedings and instructing a solicitor early in the dispute to advise, help define your concerns and consider the merits of your case is important.

If you are involved in a legal disagreement, the friendly and knowledgeable team at Mander Hadley have the legal expertise that can really help.

We can offer advice and support on all aspects of property disputes, including:

  • rights of way
  • restrictive covenants
  • boundary disputes
  • overhanging trees and bushes
  • party walls
  • rights to light
  • property trespass and nuisance
  • village green applications
  • compulsory purchase notifications
  • requests by utility companies to use their land – also known as wayleave agreements and easements

For more help or advice on neighbour or property disputes, please contact us today.

Mander Hadley

Mander Hadley Solicitors is not only a long established firm, but is vibrant and successful, with a forward thinking approach.