Mander Hadley Logo


Mander Hadley Solicitors in Coventry 024 7663 1212


Mander Hadley Solicitors in Kenilworth 01926 857631

Breaking up can turn your
  world upside down

Unmarried Couples Side Arrow

Related links Down Arrow

Make an enquiry Down Arrow

Whilst there is no set procedure for unmarried couples, there may be outstanding issues concerning property or other assets which need to be dealt with as a result of separation.

free-guide-download Many people consider that being part of a long-term cohabiting relationship amounts to being recognised as a ‘common law spouse’.

Unfortunately, this is a common misconception as the law does not recognise a “common law spouse” which means a partner is not offered the same financial remedies that are available to a wife or husband going through Divorce proceedings.

As a result, any claims must be dealt with under the principles of contract, trust and land law. This is a highly complex area, which we strongly advise should be dealt with by legal experts.

Alternatively, you may be looking to enter into a Cohabitation Agreement to set out your respective positions and how joint property is to be dealt with in the event that your relationship breaks down or one partner dies.

Although most couples may not consider that such an Agreement is an important consideration when moving in together, it can be an extremely helpful tool to avoid future difficulties or litigation when dividing assets, if the worst should happen and the relationship ends.

Contact us now and let us help you prepare a Cohabitation Agreement which will provide you with peace of mind for the future. You are in safe hands at Mander Hadley.

For more information please consult our Unmarried Couples Experts: