The laws that regulate landlord and tenant agreements can be complicated but it is important that you are both aware of your rights and comply with your obligations. Failing to do so can have serious financial and sometimes even criminal penalties.
The law is designed to protect both landlords and tenants, in effect stopping them from taking matters into their own hands. For example, landlords are unable to evict a tenant without a Court Order for possession. Attempting to remove a tenant by changing the locks to the property, could mean a landlord faces up to 6 months imprisonment and/or a £5,000 fine, not to mention a civil claim for compensation for illegal eviction.
It is important that from the outset, that a properly worded tenancy agreement is put in place and is agreed by both parties.
If the tenancy agreement is not drafted properly it can result in disputes and legal action further down the line.
At Mander Hadley, our experienced team of legal experts offer a full range of services for residential landlords and tenants including:
- Advice on your legal obligations when first renting a property
- Advice on your legal obligations when taking or paying a deposit
- Tenancy agreement advice and drafting service
- Advice relating to disputes that arise during the tenancy
- Service of notices on tenants to vacate your property
- Advice for tenants who are served with a notice to vacate
- Obtaining possession orders from the Court on your behalf
- Advising on areas of dispute once a property has been vacated
- Claims for rent arrears and damage relating to the property
- Enforcement of Court orders
Contact us now and let us take care of your legal needs relating to residential landlord and tenant matters. You are in safe hands at Mander Hadley.